Saturday, June 21, 2008

When In Rome

When I got out of work today I felt the need to visit with my friend Bethanie... So I kidnapped her (with a 15-ish minute warning) and brought her to dinner. The hole-in-the-wall Indian place's kitchen was closed for a chunk of time so we went next door and tried the Korean place. I tell you what, it was really good. Mostly vegetables, it made me really happy. The kimchi was comparable to the kimchi I grew up eating and that my dad has now taken up the art of making. The dish I ordered had raw beef pieces in it. I was curious about it since I love raw fish and have a slight partiality to fresh raw moose. The waitress double checked making sure I knew the beef was not cooked... which made me even more excited to try it. More questionable than the raw beef was the raw egg yolk on top. That... that made me stop and think for a minute. And then something my mom always said popped into mind. "When in Rome, do as Romans do". And so I did. Raw egg yolk, raw beef, and tons of vegetables... If I'm dead tomorrow, we'll all know why.

No comments: