Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Melted Tar on the Sidewalk

So I haven't written in quite a long while. Sorry, I happen to be keeping busy lately and doggone-it, I like it.

I felt inspired to write this random evening because I had an interesting experience while searching for ant-traps at a store today.

As I walked through the store I kept seeing these women dressed in long sleeves and black smocks with white bonnet-like head coverings. My guess was that they were Amish. Not wanting to jump to conclusions but being terribly curious, I decided to introduce myself to one of the ladies who looked about my age and start a conversation.

Let's just say, I'm not very smooth.

Me: "Hi, I'm Joanna."

Her: [Silence]

Me: "So... could I ask you a question?"

Her: [Silence]

Me: "What religion do you claim?"

Her: "What?"

Finally she said something!

Me: "Uh.... why do you wear the..." [Tugging at my own shirt indicating I'm referring to her smock because for the life of me I don't know what to call it.]

Her: "It's just something we do."

Dang it! She doesn't understand what I'm getting at.

Me: "I'm young, I'm stupid, so I'm just gonna ask... Are you Amish?"

Her: "Yes."

Me: "Wow. Where are you from?"

Her: "Somewhere around mid-Southern Maryland."

Me: "Do you use automotive vehicles?"

Her: "We use buggies."

Me: "You drove a horse and buggy here?"

Where the heck did they park?

Her: "No, a driver brought us here."

At this point another similarly dressed woman, older, steps beside the woman I have been chatting with and silently stares at me as if I am melted tar on the sidewalk.

Me: "Oh, ok."

[Awkward pause]

Me: "So you live off your land right?"

Her: "Yes."

Me: "That must be great."

Her: "It is."

Me: "What do you do in the winter when you can't grow fresh produce?"

Her: "We can food in the summer. Makes for a busy summer but it gets us through the winter."

Me: "I guess that makes sense. I wish the rest of society could live so simply."

Her: "It is good."

Me: "Well, thanks for talking with me. Be careful driving home."

I guess I don't have to say much after this... you can tell what a dork I am.

No comments: