Sunday, March 16, 2008

3 for 1 Special

Are you a believer?


I am waitressing very very part-time now, as my regular work week is keeping me quite busy.

Last Saturday I worked at the restaurant and I was taking an order for a large party. During the entire time I was writing, I noticed a woman staring at my server book, wherein I keep a picture of Christ ministering unto the children.

When I brought her a drink refill, she mentioned that she saw the picture earlier and asked in a whisper, "Are you a believer"?

The question delivery and word application was a little... different than I'm used to. After tooling it around in my mind for a second, I whispered back, "Why yes, I am".

I B L8

On Sunday I was helping a friend out by accompanying her beautiful singing in a special musical number she performed for her ward's (congregation) sacrament meeting at church. This was at 3pm and located in South Anchorage. At 5pm I was needing to be back to my side of town so I could teach in my ward's Relief Society (a women's Sunday school class).

One hour to get from point A to point B is a grand amount of time, but for some reason I felt like I left my friend's ward a little later than I should have. Part-way to my destination, I had this feeling that I was going to be late. I was worried and amidst my minor panic, a truck pulled into the lane in front of me.

Of all the things the truck's personalized I-like-to-distract-other-drivers license plate could say, it offered me no comfort with "I B L8".

Fiber anyone?

One of my clients works for an after-school program. Therefore a few afternoons a week, three hours at a time, I'm with this client at the school. Around children. Enough said.

Today a kid came into the program with a l-o-o-o-n-g piece of paper with protruding pieces of paper at one end, and a pointed piece at the other. He had made a paper scorpion.

He was playing with it, and trying to "sting" my arm and make me squirm. I played along, even though it's not REALLY my job to interact with the kids. I mean, come on, what do you think I am? Nice? Never.

Seeing kids using their imaginations in this time of video games and crap like that is rather rare these days. This little scorpion thing was rather charming until...

The kid totally ATE it. Yeah, he ATE it. Want me to say it again? He ATE it!!! Yes! All three flippin' feet of paper that it was!

As much as I am not a fan of video games, at least if a kid takes of chunk out of a controller or something, electricity will do it's thing and teach 'em a lesson.

The paper, well... that won't bite back until later.

No comments: